Saturday, January 9, 2010

Putting Away childish things...

I am a big child at heart, but I have come to realize that certain things should be left in childhood. The reason I say this is because, success depends so directly on persistence towards a goal, that often our childhood tendencies get in the way.

For example, the desire to hang on to things we were good at as children can often lead to time wasted in pursuits that will not bring actual success. I am speaking from personal experience, as tonight I sit and write this I am in the process of giving up one of my favorite activities that I participated in as a child. This new year has brought much thought to play in how I need to change in order to get what I truly want out of life.

"When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things" (I Corinthians 13:11) Whether or not you are religious, this statement contains truth that anyone can follow. So how does this pertain to real estate you may ask? I am asking myself the same question and the biggest correlation that comes to mind are the long term goals that I have as I grow older. More importantly, how I can put away some 'childish' activities in order to further develop as an investor, entrepreneur, and mentor to those I choose to work with. We all need fun and hobbies in our life, but for me I have found that too much emphasis was being placed on this aspect. Now I must bring things into harmony by giving one up!

No comments: